Paleo Shepherds Pie
By: Dr. Justin Marchegiani
This is a great hearty meal with the extra carbs from the sweet potatoes, which can be easily subbed for extra veggies if you are carb sensitive. This meal is grain free, legume free and dairy free (if you use coconut oil instead of butter).
First things first:
1. 2-3 sweet potatoes (peeled) steamed and then mash with coconut oil or Kerry gold butter. A little bit of cinnamon can be added to the sweet potatoes for extra flavor.
2. Saute 1-2 pounds of grass fed organic meat in a separate pan then the veggies (this makes it faster), depending on how many people. 1 pound is usually good for 2 people.
3. Veggies: Cut up 1 onion and saute in a pan with either coconut oil or butter. Then cut up the peppers and add them to the pan after about 5 minutes. Add cumin , oregano and turmeric to taste.
4. Add the meat to the same pan as the sauteed onions and peppers and let the veggies and the meat mix-in before adding a half of a head of kale to the batch. Once the Kale cooks down, the veggie-meat mix can then be served on top of the the sweet potato mix.
5. Add additional sea salt as well as an avocado on the side.
6. Viola! Enjoy…
Thanks to Sarah Fragoso for the inspiration from her cookbook “Everyday Paleo”