Paleo Apple Cake
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Bake Time: 1 hour | Serves: 8
- 6 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- ¾ cup coconut palm sugar (or pure maple syrup)
- 1 ½ cups finely ground almond flour
- ¾ cup arrowroot starch (or fine brown rice flour, or tapioca starch)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs (or ½ cup applesauce—cake will be very moist)
- ¾ cup organic grass-fed butter (melted) or ghee
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts (optional), or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease a 9” or 10” springform pan with butter or coconut oil. Set aside.
- Throw all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Mix with a big wooden spoon until everything is coated and uniform. You can kind of crunch up the apples, too, which will release the juices.
- Pour it into the prepared pan and bake 45 minutes to an hour, until the top is golden brown and the center is moist-set. Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream, or chill and serve cold. Makes a great simple dessert or even a healthy breakfast!
Abel's Favorite Holiday Feasts