EMF: The Health Implications of the Invisible Fields All Around Us
By Dr. Justin Marchegiani
What is EMF?
Electromagnetic fields (EMF) come in two forms: native (nEMF) and non-native (nnEMF).
Native, or natural, EMF includes visible light, and also comes in invisible forms, such as infrared and ultraviolet light. You may be familiar with these as part of the spectrum of energy emitted from the sun. Additionally, the Earth itself resonates at frequencies called the Schumann Resonance. All living things, including humans, have lived in harmony with the native frequencies produced by the Sun and the Earth for all of the time. Native EMF is a good thing.
Non-native EMF is where we start seeing problems. nnEMF is emitted from electronic devices and appliances including cell phones, wifi, light bulbs, laptops, computers, tablets, TVs, smart meters, microwaves, radios, Bluetooth, fitness tracking gadgets, refrigerators, power outlets… you get the idea. Non-native EMF is everywhere in our society and is making us sick. The scary part is, this radiation is invisible, and most people are unaware that they are being affected.
Native (natural) EMF comes from nature, including sunlight and the Earth.
Non-native (man-made, artificial) EMF comes from electronic devices and appliances, including x-rays, airport scanners, MRI machines, Bluetooth, radios, and microwaves.
EMF and Our Biology
So what’s the problem with EMF? Well, the native kind is perfectly found—healing, in fact. Have you noticed how good it feels to take off your shoes at the beach and dig your toes in the sand? Familiar with the calm happy feelings when having a picnic outdoors? Well, when you touch or go barefoot on the Earth, you are connecting with the Schumann Resonance through a practice called “grounding.”
Why does grounding make you feel better? We are constantly being bombarded by the non-native EMF of our technological society. These artificial frequencies are much more intense than anything humankind has ever experienced, and the constant radiation is taking a huge toll on human health. When we connect to the Earth via grounding, we’re able to soak up the negative ions from the ground to bring us back to baseline.
Health Effects of nnEMF
The adverse health effects of man-made EMF exposure are all-encompassing: there are so many areas of health that are devastated by this radiation that it would be impossible to list them all. Here are a few of the most common consequences of EMF exposure:
- Insomnia and sleep problems *,*
- Headaches *
- Tinnitus (ears ringing or buzzing)
- Chronic fatigue
- Dizziness and vertigo
- Increased digestive distress, IBS, Crohn’s, and gut permeability *
- Increased allergies and eczema
- Memory, learning, and concentration issues *
- Weakened immune system and increased inflammation *
- Heart palpitations
- Mood changes, anxiety, depression, stress, fatigue *
- Joint pain
- DNA damage
- Cancer *
- Alters gene expression & DNA *
- Tumors *
- Infertility *
- Neurological and behavioral changes
- Altered cell growth and cell mutations
- Increases blood-brain barrier permeability *, *, *,*
- Disrupts circadian rhythm *
- Reduces cognitive performance *,*
- And MORE*
Parents in California are petitioning for the removal of a cell phone tower at the elementary school after 4 children—students at this school—have developed cancer in just the last 3 years.
How to Protect Yourself Against EMF
Learning about the biologic disaster of EMF is scary, but my goal is to provide you with practical strategies to protect yourself from the effects of this omnipresent radiation. Here are some easy-to-implement strategies that will help reduce the EMF burden on your (and your family’s) body:
- Never talk with your cell phone up to your head, and avoid Bluetooth headphones. This puts the radiation right up to your brain. Use speakerphone.
- Keep your cell phone in airplane mode when not in use. If you must have data and wifi on, keep the phone OFF of your body (not in your pocket or in your bra).
- If your neighborhood is transitioning to Smart Meters, opt out. In some regions, they don’t allow opt-outs. If this is the case where you live, invest in a smart meter guard. Learn more about why it’s important to avoid smart meter installation here.
- Turn your wifi off at night. You can do this manually, or get a timer that will automatically turn it off at night and back on at a designated time in the morning.
- While using a laptop is not ideal (increases risk of cancer and infertility by putting radiation right on your “goods”), there are different types of radiation protection pads that you can put under your laptop. DefenderShield carries laptop pads as well as cell phone cases and other shielded accessories.
- Grounding, as discussed earlier, is a great option to offset the negative effects of EMF exposure. Get outside barefoot, or try grounding shoes such as Earth Runners. You can also find grounded sheets for health benefits while you sleep!